OH CHRISTMAS TREE
I remember both my Christmas's in the mission field like they were yesterday. My first was the hardest because, like you, I got in the mission field right before the holidays hit. I was homesick and two years before I got to go home seemed like an eternity away. My second Christmas was my best; I was well into my mission loving the people of West Virginia and teaching with the spirit. I missed home but did not want to be anywhere else in the whole wide world. I was in Fairmont teaching the Soles. I remember me and elder Hammer going to get a Christmas tree from a tree farm you could either have one cut or get one with the roots and all. We could not afford a big one and the owner of the farm showed us some that were real cheep. We looked them over and found a little scruffy one. The root system had very little dirt left on it and had sat exposed to the air for some time. He said he didn’t think it would live if we re-planted it but that we could cut it off for just a Christmas tree. We wanted it with the roots so he found a little tub to put it in. we put the poor little tree in the tub and packed a little dirt around its roots and loaded it on top of the mission car with some rope. it stood about five feet tall, it really was not much to look at, we even joked that Charlie Browns Christmas tree looked better that this one. With the help of some donated Christmas decorations we put the little tree up in the corner of our cold little apartment it really didn't look half bad all decorated. Well Christmas came and went and sometime in the middle of January we started talking about what to do with the little tree, we decided to throw it out, but we thought no, lets plant it in someone’s yard. We asked Mary Jane if she wanted it, we told her it would remind her of us after we were gone. The day we brought it over I remember her seeing the tree and making a comment that it looked dead. We started digging a hole in the frozen ground just along her long driveway. It was like digging in rock and we really couldn't get down too deep. I said to her Mary Jane, I'll tell you what, if the church is true this tree will live, if the church and everything we have taught you was false this tree will die. She said you must have a lot of faith in that tree because it looks like the odds are against you. Well fast forward twenty five years later as I returned to the Soles home to visit their son returning from a mission and to see Gary be baptized all in the same weekend. as I pulled up their drive way I was greeted by this magnificent beautiful 40 foot Christmas tree thick with pine branches and standing there as if to tell me hello old friend I knew I needed to keep your promise to the Soles and live. That was a great experience for me. Christmas in the mission field is so special you will feel the Saviors love for you at a high level. We miss you Ashley and I know the lord is very pleased with the work you have done and will yet do. I will keep you close to my heart on the 25th. I love you so much Hun. Dad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment